Garage Organization Demystified
Does the thought of organizing your garage seem too daunting? Do you wonder where to begin when you can’t even walk in there? When was the last time you were able to park your car(s) in your garage? Let me help you get started–because sometimes that’s the hardest part! Here’s how:
- Set aside an entire weekend – schedule on your calendar
- Schedule a donation service to pick up your donations after the weekend
- Gather Materials
- drop-box or a bagster for your mountain of discards that can’t be donated
- tent canopy to set up in your driveway or yard to keep you shaded or dry during the process
- 3-4 folding tables to set up under the canopy for sorting
- boxes for sorting items you want to keep and labeled by category
- Identify the different categories of things you want to keep in your garage; i.e., sports equipment, tools, gardening, household supplies, automotive, camping, holiday, etc.
- Set-up your staging area
- Keep Area – sorting tables and boxes labeled by category
- Donate Area – place tarp on the ground to designate this area
- Trash Area – dumpster
- EVERYTHING comes out of the garage and as it does DECIDE and sort by:
- Keep and what category – place in appropriate bin/box
- Donate – place in large garbage bags or boxes in the Donate Area
- Discard – place in the dumpster or trash bags
- Sweep out the garage before placing items back
- Install uniform shelving and bins to fit each shelf area to maximize the space
- Designate zones in your garage related to each category and where you will be able to easily access items.
- Designate shelves for each category
- Place items in containers (like with like) and label
Once your garage is organized you will want to keep it organized. Practice new habits such as
- Put things away where they belong after you use them
- Keep zones intact so you can easily find things when you need them
- Don’t put something in the garage to decide what to do with it later—decide now
- Designate a Donation Zone and container for items you no longer want
Does the task still seem too daunting?
Here’s some garage inspiration!
What questions do you have? What garage organizing tips work for you? Come join the conversation.
I love the suggestion to schedule a donation pickup before you've done the work. It gives you a deadline and makes sure you don't just keep the unwanted/unneeded stuff sitting around afterwards.
Yes Janet, it's very tempting to go dumpster diving if discards are not removed right away.